When: 9:30am, Tuesday 23 October
Where: Eight Hour Monument, Corner of Russell Street and Victoria Street, Melbourne
Bring: Your friends and family, and your best chanting voices!
Why do we need to Change the Rules?
- Wages outpaced by the cost of living
- Penalty rates being cut
- Fair Work Commission refusing award entitlements like a day in lieu when a public holiday falls on a non working day and accident make-up pay
- More insecure work with lower wages and conditions – casual, labor hire, Foodora, Deliveroo
- Profits at a record high and wages at a record low in our economy
- Multinational companies not paying fair share of tax
- Salaried executives on enormous salaries whilst penalty rates are cut
- Fair Work Commission stripped of its power to make binding decisions on workplace disputes (e.g. rostering disputes)
The rules are broken. The rules need to change.
Union members are rallying on Tuesday October 23. SDA members are meeting at 9:30am at the Eight Hour Monument on the corner of Victoria Street and Russell Street.
The SDA encourages all members who are not working to attend the rally.
It will be a peaceful rally, so bring your family and friends.
We will have t-shirts to wear and flags to carry.
We recommend using public transport or speaking to your organiser to attend the rally. The Eight Hour Monument is a short walk from Melbourne Central Station.