No-one needs to put up with being cyber bullied or stalked.
The same rules and laws apply online as they do in everyday life.
That means no-one has the right to bully another person
At its worst, cyber bullying/stalking is illegal and can dealt with by police.
You or a friend may find you are the target. there are ways to deal with this cowardly behavior.
What Is Cyber Bullying/Stalking?
It is when someone uses technology like the internet, mobile/smart phones, e-mail messages to intimidate, control, manipulate, or humiliate a selected victim.
Some of the things a cyber bully might do are:
- Tell lies about you - about your work, home, friends, family members, or sexuality
- Look out for, use and distort any information they come across in order to offend you
- Make threats towards you or your friends - both verbal and physical
- Impersonate you to get you in trouble, such as posting comments or pictures under your name on Facebook and other sites
- Spread rumors about you to your family and friends
- Interfere with your computer or mobile phone by changing voicemail settings and passwords
- Tag you in inappropriate pictures
- Track your email
Comments can involve:
- Racist or religious slurs
- References to your sexuality
- Attempts to humiliate, denigrate or trick you
Who Does It?
In most cases bullies are known to the victim and could be:
- An ex-partner
- A casual acquaintance
- A work colleague
- A customer
- A school or college mate
- A 'friend' or frenemy
- A family member
How It Affects You
Cyber bullying and stalking is a traumatic experience which can lead to a lot of stress. You could suffer from:
- Fear and anxiety
- Feeling powerless or helpless
- Feeling suspicious or wary of others
- Guilt and self blame
- Anger or irritability
- A desire to withdraw socially
- Sleep disturbance
- Loss of appetite, nausea and vomiting
- Worsening of an illness you already had
- A reduction in work or school attendance
For more information on your rights, the laws that cover syber bullying and stalking, and how to protect yourself, contact the SDA